Friday, August 31, 2012

A little trip to the grocery store...

So yesrerday Ashley and I made a trip to our friendly neighborhood market here in Freeport, Bahamas.  There are several grocery stores to choose from here in the Bahamas, but it's almost as though you have to hop from one to the other to get everything you need.  You're just not gonna find it in one place, and sometimes you might not find it all that week.  It has been an adjustment for sure (I actually shopped at Solomon's on Monday this week and didn't find everything I needed).  Butler's has the better produce selection of the stores I've visited (and by stores I mean Butler's and Solomon's), so that's where I prefer to go.  Thursdays are the days to go because Wednesday is shipment day and Thursday is stocking day.  So you get a stab at the produce (and the other merchandise for that matter) before its rotten and/or picked over.  Which happens faster than you might think.

We had Angry Steve pick us up.  Angry Steve is a bus driver without much integrity, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by this fact.  He talks too fast, yells at people, hangs up on you, and shows up 45 minutes later than he said he would.  Yep...45 minutes...  So why do we keep calling him?  Because the only thing he IS consistent about is answering his cell phone (which most bus drivers aren't) and our beloved Tyrone is just plain too expensive to use multiple times in a week.  Today before dropping us each off at our apartments after our grocery foray, he made a shady stop at a little strip center, went inside for 3 minutes, and came out smiling...nothing in his hands....  You draw your own conclusions...

Since I didn't have much I needed to buy I decided to take pictures for my loyal blog readers.  I'm always amused at what I find there.  I am equally NOT so amused by some of the prices.  So enjoy my picture homage to Butler's International Grocery...

One of these things is not like the other.  Or is it?  On the right...you guessed it...a papaya.  On the left? An avocado.  Yes...an avocado.  You can see how one might get the two confused and buy one thinking it was the other and be unpleasantly surprised.  I'm not speaking from experience or anything...


 Pig Tails are not just a fun hair style anymore...


 Wow...haven't seen this stuff since 1991...  Oh memories...


 Yep folks, that's right.  Ramen Noodles.  A 24 pack for the low low price of $11.59 (written on a hard to find price tag in Butler's...stuff is rarely marked).  And read the sarcasm in that last sentence.  Especially since that same 24 pack at home would run me a very expensive $2 . 85...


 No green onions, no Italian seasoning, but they've got these!  Cuz who doesn't need snail shells...


 I am so confused...


 Everything else might be outrageously priced, but this sweet little .5 oz bag of star anise is only $1.19! I saw this stuff at Williams Sonoma in the same size package for $20!  So apparently I need to find something to cook with Star Anise...



 The priciest mushrooms you've ever seen.  And they look like they've already been eaten a little...


Seems a but redundant don't you think?



 Ball Sacks.  No seriously.  Sacks of Tamarind Balls.  These are the hot commodity around here.  MERP students clamor to buy these when they see them.  Yummy!


The biggest no no in the store.  By 25% off they really mean that only 25% of this milk is still liquid...


 And this is why Matilda gets home cooked meals...

She doesn't seem too much worse for the wear because of it does she??  The queen upon her throne...



 Black Salt Powder??  Lies!!!  It's pink!



 Perfect for your standard MLT (mutton, lettuce, and tomato) sammy.  Except this mutton isn't sliced real thin...


 Or how about a standard can of corn.  With a side of OH DEAR LORD I COULD BUY 7 OF THESE AT HOME FOR THAT PRICE!!


Or maybe save a little cash and combine the two.  You never knew what you were eating when you ate Salisbury steak.  And now you do...


 My favorite cereal.  Which will NEVER make it into my basket at Butler's...


So what you're telling me is that you guys have a real hard time finding a banana vendor, right? 

1 comment:

A Different Kind of Flair