Monday, September 16, 2013

Never Did I Ever...Until I Moved to Dominica...

I feel like I have lots of "shaking my head" and/or "face palm" moments here in Dominica.  I've been contemplating this week the paradigms that have so shifted in the past 14+ months that we've been living in the Caribbean.  The things that make me think, "Wow...in a short 9 months time my life will look SO different than it does now."  So I thought I would share some "Never Did I Ever...Until I Moved to Dominica" moments with you tonight...

Never Did I Ever...try to cram 13 teenagers in a room smaller than my bedroom and try to teach a music class...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...consider purchasing (and actually purchase) a beater TANK of  a car that has parts attached with duct tape and think it was at once a true instant gratification investment AND the equivalent of a Rolls-Royce...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...swim in the seemingly poop free ocean and come down with E. Coli 4 days later...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...buy more okra in a month than my Pa could grow in his garden in a year...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...stack 3 dirt cheap mattresses on top of each other (a pretty sweet idea until they get misaligned and you accidentally fall off the bed) and feel like the Queen of England-James Store Style...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...sing silly songs and color crazy weird pictures with Kindergarteners 5 days a week and love every second of it...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...consider it a great day when Subway has soup...Until I Moved to Dominica...

 Never Did I Ever...eat/drink passion fruit at least 3 times a week...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...wear my hair in a ponytail almost daily, rarely blow dry it, and almost never wear it down...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...have to tell my husband that my hair was "full of secrets today" because it was so poofy from humidity that it was three times it's normal size...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...have to consider "boob sweat" a real and serious situation to which my attention needs to be brought on a daily basis...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...consider the presence of geckos in my house a good thing (neither would I EVER have allowed one to sleep in a washcloth on my bathroom counter because he looked so peaceful)...Until I Moved to Dominica...



Never Did I Ever...scan trees to see if there was ripe fruit on them (and 9 times out of 10 there IS!)...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...blow a fuse in my house from turning on my shower head heater and it electrocuting itself...Until I Moved to Dominica...

Never Did I Ever...have to have my husband turn on and preheat my oven every time I use it because I can never remember my celsius to fahrenheit conversions...Until I Moved to Dominica...


And the list could go on.  I guess there will need to be a part 2 at some point...




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Different Kind of Flair